Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cobwebs by Christina Rossetti

I believe Christina Rossetti is describing her conscience and her mind. I believe she was very lonely here, because that is the feeling I get when I read this sonnet. The rhyme scheme in this sonnet goes abba abba cdcede and it goes 8-4-2 seperating rhyme scheme.

The imagery here is very somber and lifeless. She describes a land which is very flat and has nothing to it, everything is empty, and I believe that is her describing how she feels on the "loveless land" which shows she is lonely. There is absolutely no emotion as shown by her saying, "No future hope no fear for evermore," she is completely cold almost as if she is dead. I bleieve it is called cobwebs because she possibly feels old here, like she has been sitting here lifeless for ages. She hasn't felt anything in this horribly lonely place for so long, that all there is left are cobwebs. It also adds to the loneliness of the whole poem.

There isn't any change here is well, no "ebb and flow" or "no moons or season wax and wane," so that could also be the meaning for the title of cobwebs, she is in this grey and boring land and she is also stuck here because nothing is changing for her. So cobwebs have developed all around her.

3 comments:

Fahad W. Naisan said...

I belive this poem is diffecult to understand.I have searched many resources to find an analysis for this poem but i couldn't find anything, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I love this poem. There is so much description of 'nothingness' and I love the pessimistic constant use of 'no' and 'nor' because truth be told it is very hard to describe 'nothing'.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.